Data input in websites using conventional mode of keyboard input is prone to severe security issues like key logging. This type of security issue enables hackers to compromise on security by capturing the keystrokes entered by the users and thereby the identity and credentials like User ID, Password, Social Security number and similar sensitive data. The concept of Virtual keyboard enables the users to enter the data by using a visual keyboard by using mouse. This prevents key logging and keystroke capturing as it relies on mouse clicks and not the keyboard input. Similar to key stroke logging, mouse clicks too can be captured, to prevent this virtual keyboard changes its keyboard layout in random for every request.
Steps to use Virtual Keyboard are as follows:
- Provides secured mode of entering data in web based applications
- Prevents security threats like identity theft using key logging
- Layout changes in random making it more secure from security threats
Functions of different keys on the Virtual Keyboard Caps Lock:
- Enter Username using Physical Keyboard.
- Select the check box “Use Virtual Keyboard”.
- Use the Virtual Keyboard to enter the login password.
- Once you have entered your password, click “Log In”.
This key can be used to enter upper case if the password consists of capital letters.
Back Space: This key will clear the last character entered in the password field.
Clear: This key will clear all characters entered in the password field by virtual keyboard.